The painter spent the last years of his life in this house (1904-1907), here being his last workshop. Grigorescu lived in Campina, with interruptions, since 1871, and from 1890 he settled in the city, being fascinated by the surrounding landscapes.
The beauty of the plains around the ruins of Lady Stanca's Princely Court inspired most of the paintings of Nicolae Grigorescu. The meadows painted by Grigorescu are those in which Constantin Brancoveanu grew up - here he painted the famous "The chariot with oxen" (one of the 100 that exists) and also some of the paintings with a hothouse, and the chariots in this village are the models in his rustic paintings.
Nicolae Grigorescu represented in his paintings elements of rural life (chariots with oxen, landscapes, peasants), his works being highly appreciated both during his life and after his death, so that on a part of Romanian banknotes from 1936 to 1947 (1000, 10000 and 5000000 lei) appear the drawings showing the peasants painted by Grigorescu and the signature of the artiste.
The memorial house-museum is located in the town of Campina. In this house lived and painted Nicolae Grigorescu (1838-1907). The building, built by the artist himself, was built between 1902 and 1904. During the First World War, the German General Headquarters had been established in Grigorescu’s home and in 1918 the house was unfortunately burned completely. Some of the objects (furniture, personal belongings, photographs, letters, library) were fortunately saved, and later the house was rebuilt and can now be visited. The reconstruction was carried out under the guidance of the son of the painter, with the help of photographs made by Nicholas Grigorescu during his life.